UNIX & Company
The Red Fedoras
- Red Hat linux was one of the first organized and distributed versions and is considered the gold standard for enterprise linux.
- Fedora Linux is their ‘canary’ distro updating about every 6months.
- Centos / Rocky Linux: A bit of recent controversy, Red-hot purchased Centos and is using it more like Fedora. The Rocky linux project is an attempt to bring back the original Centos.
The other ones
Formal UNIX distros are fading and being replaced with Linux. Many of the actively developed UNIXs are running on non-intel hardware.
- IBM has AIX
- SGI had IRIX both are dead and should be listed below but their legacy is huge.
- Oracle/SUN has Solaris which can be download here if you are interested.
- HP/Digital still uses HP-UX for specific things but it moving away from it.
- MacOS is really a UNIX built from OpenStep the original NexT operating system.
Not necessarily *nix but a reminder that there where many more operating systems in the ancient days
- IBM OS/2 & OS/2 Warp
- Amiga OS
- Atari OS
- DOS - IBM, Microsoft and Apple all had their own DOS
Distro Watch it used to be more useful and sensible but is still an interesting place to check the score cards.
Workstation and History
- A Workstation
- Bell Labs